Monday, February 11, 2008

A tough lesson - ministry outside our comfort zone


The next day’s ministry project would be a new experience – serving the homeless people during this cold winter. But then panic set in my mind, as we were told that amongst those homeless people, some would have active tuberculosis. But that’s very contagious! How could I, as team leader, responsibly bring the team into this environment?

Restlessly, I struggled for humility and wisdom. My discussions with medical advice left us with our own individual decisions as to whether to participate in this ministry. As a team, we discussed our concerns and prayed together. We decided that if we were to minister Biblically, we had to do as Jesus did – he touched those outcasts in society, including those who were infectious. So we committed this to God through prayer, trusting in God’s care for us.

As we sang songs, presented gospel dramas and chatted with the homeless, I looked at the crowd. One man was particularly dishevelled, wearing filthy lice-ridden clothes. I thought to myself, “Of all these people here, this is the man most likely to have TB – I’d be careful of getting too close to him!” And yet, of all the men in the room, it was this very person whom God caused to approach me closely, poignantly asking, “Do you have any warm clothes? I get very cold at night”.

I couldn’t ignore him or move away. This was God asking me, personally, for a response. What could I do? My only response had to be to take the coat from my own back and give it to him. This was Biblical. And this was the witness God demanded of me.

I had to entrust myself to God’s grace. And God taught me the extent of his love. Ministry outside my comfort zone.

Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you? I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me. (Matt 25:37-40)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home